After surveying the vernal pools and surrounding woods yesterday, the Friends made a very difficult decision last night not to close Beekman Road. It was based on a combination of factors including the field conditions and the weather forecast. When we were at the pools yesterday, the ground seemed quite cold beneath logs and there was still a fair amount of ice on the pools. We knew the forecast had some rain for a short period in the evening so we kept checking various weather outlets all day to better understand the timing. Although the day was quite warm the rain was forecast to be very light and wasn't expected to begin until after dark. So we began to panic when the first sprinkles began when it was still light and picked up in intensity with each passing hour. By 8:30 there was a steady drizzle and temperatures were still in the mid-40's so we checked the road to see if anything had decided to move. Fortunately, since the road wasn't closed, we didn't find anything expect one Spring Peeper. We carefully moved it off the road and after driving the road a few more times decided that the salamanders were still safely underground waiting on a more intense rainfall to migrate. We are very carefully monitoring conditions for tomorrow and Wednesday when warm temperatures and heavy rain may coincide. Stay tuned, things can happen very fast at this time of year.
NEVER (AND WE MEAN NEVER) WALK BEEKMAN ROAD AT NIGHT IF THE ROAD IS NOT CLOSED!!!
Here is a photo of the lone Spring Peeper that was apparently testing the migration waters last night.