Beekman Road will be closed today for safe amphibian crossing.
The weather forecast for today:
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds. Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 57. North wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Scattered showers, mainly before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. West wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
A few VERY important safety notes (for us and the salamanders and frogs):
1. NEVER, and we cannot stress this enough, NEVER, walk Beekman Road when it is not closed. It is NOT safe!
2. Park carefully and always have your children hold your hand when crossing Church Lane. Cars come fast, it will be dark and possibly rainy, and we don't want anyone hurt. When parking, choose a safe location and be exceptionally careful when pulling out onto Church Lane.
3. For the salamanders, be sure that EVERYONE has a strong, bright flashlight so that the salamanders and frogs are not accidentally stepped on. Check your flashlight before leaving the house and honestly, don't come out without EVERYONE having one in their hand. Cell phone flashlights are just not strong enough to illuminate the road at night.
4. Also, please do not handle the frogs and salamanders. Simply watch them cross and enjoy their movements. Amphibians breathe through their skin and touching them can be harmful to them.
5. Please do not enter the vernal pools. There are egg masses and spermatophores that are easily disturbed by silt and will be killed by being stepped on. Just enjoy the pools from the edge.
5. Be safe and enjoy the migration!